jump to navigation

Failed:(0) Alter failed for server ‘ComputerName\\InstanceName’ February 9, 2009

Posted by Chirag in Database Maintenance Plans, SQL 2005.
Tags: , ,
trackback

I had just setup a Maintenance Plan with the first step being “Database Integrity Checks”. I tried to test it and the Job failed. The job step was set to log the output of the step into a file. When I looked at the step execution log file, it had this vague error

Failed: (0) Alter failed for server ‘ComputerName\\InstanceName’

I looked in the SQL Error log and didn’t find anything relating to this.

So, I started a profiler trace on the server and executed the Maintenance Plan job again. I saw that it tried to run the following configuration option

EXEC sys.sp_configure N’user options’, 0

RECONFIGURE

and the job failed with the same error in the step execution log.

Why?… well we all know the strange ways in which some things work with SQL Server sometimes…. I then dug up a KB article on googling which mentioned the same issue… KB945067

This was not of much help as when I checked the settings the “user options” was already set to 0. I was totally confused. Then said lets give the KB suggestion a try. So I manually ran this

sp_configure ‘allow updates’, 0

reconfigure with override

which failed with the following error:

“Address Windowing Extensions (AWE) requires the ‘lock pages in memory’ privilege which is not currently present in the access token of the process.”

And voila… it seems I hit the jackpot. Now this was a 64-bit SQL Server Standard Edition Box and one of the other DBA’s had at some point tried to set the “awe enabled” option to 1(don’t ask me why… but someone got a ticking off). The “Lock Pages in Memory” was not set at the OS level causing the “Reconfigure” statement to fail.

Now this caused the Maintenance Plan Job to fail as it tried to unsuccessfully run a Reconfigure statement as it also tried to commit the pending AWE setting.

I reset the “awe enabled” setting to 0 and executed

reconfigure with override

commiting the correct settings. And the day was saved as the Maintenance Plan ran smoothly and I was off to fight another battle.

About these ads

Comments»

1. Angelo - March 9, 2009

Thanks. I had the same problem and couldn’t fix it with any other solutions I tried. Turns out that AWE setting was the problem.

2. Luigi Rosa - March 23, 2010

Thanks! I had the same problem and disabling AWE solved it!

Chirag - March 23, 2010

Hi Luigi, glad this post was helpful!


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

%d bloggers like this: